How to Drop or Withdraw from My Professional Course
Dropping and Withdrawing from Courses
You can request to drop from a course before the deadline (ALWAYS check the course page for specific drop policy stipulations and published deadlines). After the deadline, you can only ask for a withdrawal.
The instructions below refer only to Professional Courses (X1 - X899). If you are taking a UCSB Course (XSBxxxx) through Open University click here for drop policies and instructions.
You have two easy options to request a drop from your course(s):
1) Submit a written drop request using our help request form.
2) Log in to your Student Portal, then: Navigate to "My Enrollment History (Current Courses) " and select the course you would like to drop. On the right side, under "Actions and Status," select "Request Drop".
You will receive an e-mail confirmation within 1–2 business days after your drop request is processed.
All requests for exceptions must be submitted in writing by using our help request form. Be sure to attach any supporting documents (such as a doctor's note).
A minimum $40 non-refundable administrative fee per course is charged for ALL refunds except when courses are cancelled, discontinued, or rescheduled. Please note that some individual courses or programs may have additional refund policies which can be found on the corresponding course and/or program webpage and/or below.
Programs with Specific Drop Policy Stipulations
- For EMT Course Drop and Withdrawal Policy, please review this article.
- For CPA Licensure Prep Summer Program Drop and Withdrawal Policy, please review this article.
- For Strategic Investments Drop and Withdrawal Policy, please review this article.
Professional Courses with 1-6 Meetings
- A full refund is given (less the $40 non-refundable administrative fee per course) if notice is received 5 days or more before the start date of the course. A 50% refund is given (less the $40 non-refundable administrative fee per course) if notice is received 1–4 days before the start date of the course. No refunds are given after the course begins.
Professional Courses with 7 or More Meetings and Online
- A full refund is given (less the $40 non-refundable administrative fee per course) if notice is received by 11:59 pm on the second Sunday from the course start date. No refunds are given if notice is received after the refund deadlines.
- Fees paid by check are refunded with a check. Allow 4–8 weeks from the date the refund is requested to receive the check. Fees paid using VISA, MasterCard, or Discover will be credited back to that card within 5-7 business days once a drop request is received. Please check with your credit card company for information on their credit policy terms.
Withdrawal policies vary depending on the course level. Click the appropriate link below to find the policy related to the course you are enrolled.